Monday, January 5, 2009

"Would you like to have your baby on Saturday?"

Shocked look from me staring back as I say "No!"

Good lord. I do ~not~ want to induce at 38 weeks! Hell, I don't want to induce at 40 weeks. But, alas, my high risk pregnancy is not going to allow me to go to term. If baby boy doesn't come on his own soon, we're going to have to induce. Damn it.

Okay, so the lowdown is he's breech. My blood pressure is up and some protein is beginning to spill into my urine. But most importantly, my placenta is starting to mature and being AMA, this being an IVF baby, previous rapid maturation, previous placenta acretta AND the velamentous cord insertion, he just isn't going to let me go to term.

SO. Next Wednesday, the 14th, I'm scheduled to get an epidural at 11am. By noon, my OB is going to perform a version on me, which is where he will manually try to turn the baby. If unsuccessful, he'll let me go one more week where he'll either do a c-section straight off or maybe try to turn him again. If successful, I've got some choices: 1) Induce right then so baby won't have a chance to turn again. 2) Wait a week and then induce if he hasn't decided to come on his own.

Urg. The queen of anti-inductions has all these fucking induction options. Having the baby before term is okay with me, because I am high risk. It's medically necessary. But I will do this at the very last moment possible. The version just scares me because of my cord issue. It's higher risk. If the baby is wrapped in the cord somehow and they turn him, it can cause the cord to just pop out - which means immediate emergency c-section. But there could be less obvious risky issues when we perform the version which may make the induction necessary right then too. But then again, I'll do whatever I need to do for Karl's safe delivery.

9 days. Holy Shit.

Until then, I stay on modified bedrest, which means I can sit up and work from home, but he doesn't want me ~doing~ anything. Lame. Bedrest sounds ~so good~ in theory, but that's it. It's so miserable. And I only have to do it for like 2 weeks. I think of my other blogging girls who were on bedrest for months. I'd scratch my eyeballs out.

I hope he turns before we go in for the version. And if we do the version, I hope it's successful without any complications and I can wait for things to happen naturally.

Oh yeah - he hit a huge growth spurt. 91st percentile and 8 lbs 1 oz. No way. Tech said to always remove a pound from their estimations - she says he's probably 7lbs right now.


Lori said...

Well, as much as I want to win, I want even MORE for you and Karl to be well.

Big of me, no?

So, good luck, Nancy. Smooth sailing.

Poltzie said...

I was on bed rest for three day and going crazy, I can't imagine how bored you must be right now! Sorry!!
I too was super anti-induction. I told anyone and everyone how there was no way I would ever be induced. Then my water broke and I didn't go into labour on my own. Yep, like you, I got induced.
The hub says it's because I was so against it.
I think my guy still wasn't fully cooked yet (6lbs 14.5oz) but he was healthy and happy, and despite the induction, I loved my labour.
Hoping the same for you - a happy, healthy baby and a good labour experience.
Oh, and lots of sleep too :)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you already know about this but I thought I'd mention it - accupuncture to one of your toes ( i think it's the pinky) can supposedly get breech babies to turn. It's worth a shot before the version.

jenn said...

Holy crap woman!!! 9 days??!! I hope he turns again before you even need the version. And then decides to come out on his own without any surgery neccessary.

But if not- it will all be okay because it's what he needs, as much as we ~all~ want you to be able to cook him a little longer & go naturally!

(I tried calling you earlier on my way home from acupuncture but all circuits were busy...)

Jenera said...

Oh man, I was scared of having a version and I didn't even have some of the complications that you do!

I'm glad he's growing for you and hopefully something will go your way.


MrsSpock said...

I was very anti-induction- and I still am if there is no medical necessity. Having a living son- I just can't get worked up about it now. I hope you get your way, but I hope you and he come through safe and sound even more

Denise said...

Of course you'll do whatever you need to for Karl's safety. But it sucks that these are your options now. I hope that he miraculous turns and decides to come on his own before you need to induce.

It is so exciting that we have all of these CO babies being born soon!

Geohde said...

Bedrest long term doth suck.

And fwiw, a c-section isn't so bad, ya know? :)



Sara said...

Holy shit Nancy! That is a lot to take in, isn't it?

Well damn - I lost the freakin' guess game!! LOL...

I am glad to hear Karl is still growing in there! You get to meet him SOON!

JamieD said...

Oh, Nancy! I'll be thinking of you this week. I have always thought bedrest was something that sounded good in theory but didn't quite translate the same in reality.

It sounds like Karl is ready to meet the outside world!

Jen said...

Crap...Guess I'm out. I guessed next Friday for the date that you would get to finally meet Karl.

Well like you said you need to do what is best for Karl and for you!

I can't wait to see pictures of the little guy.

Good luck the next few days, I will be thinking about you!!

Mommyof2boys said...

Wow,that is a lot to think about ! When I was measuring far ahead with Austin they offered me a c-section on Halloween and I said no.They told me because Ashton was big and I had a 4th degree tear they have to offer it to prevent women from tearing bad again.Well my water broke and I went into labor on my own one day late and he was 8 lbs 12oz and no tears !

Good luck and I hope little Karl decides to turn for you and everything will happen naturally :)

Steph said...

Well, I certainly hope that the version works and you don't have to have a c-section. C-sections suck, but I think the anticipation of one is probably worse than the actual surgery. Recovery is ~hard~ but you get through it. :)

Bedrest drove me ~crazy~..I was on modified bedrest with my son for a couple of weeks, which was spent in the recliner watching TV and feeling sorry for myself while the kids tore the house apart. Woo. Hoo. LOL

I know that your ultimate goal, though, is a healthy baby and a healthy mommy, I'm sure your doctors will take excellent care of you and Karl. You're in my prayers, for a safe delivery and a sweet healthy baby.


Tricia said...

Wow! That's close! I really hope the version works. But even more, I just pray for a healthy delivery, however it happens. You're in the home stretch!! Try not to go nuts on bed rest!

serenity said...

Oh boy. A lot of not so great options. Bedrest. Ick. Version. Eeek. Et cetera.

I opted not to do the version when Baby O was breech - we did a c-section instead. As much as it wasn't what I really wanted, all things considered it wasn't THAT bad. Just a thought for you.


Monica Fayth said...

good luck! I'm sure everything will work out and Karl will be born healthy and happy. I guess this is why everyone says you've gotta be flexible with your birthplan.

Misty Dawn said...

awww dang, that means my guesstimate will be way off. booooo!

I'm sure everything will go smoothly, here's to hoping he comes on his own. ~wink~

Kelly said...

Turn Karl turn!! Does your doc know that you don't ~do~ epi's well...that they don't work on you??
I hope Karl decides to flip on his own. Good luck to you.

Cara said...

Oh Nancy, I know how much you want to avoid an induction. I had two and was ADAMENT that my third pick her own birthday.

I'll be praying that boy turns...TURN BOY TURN!

Wordgirl said...

Darn, and I didn't even get to the baby pool thing yet...

but truly Nancy -- I am so excited for Karl to come out and meet his wonderful, loving, funny, smart, fearless, kick-ass mom -- he's such a lucky boy -- however it happens.

My love to you Nancy -- I will be thinking of you.



Sarah R said...

Wow, so many choices! Well, the only advice I have is to go with your gut instinct. I hope the version is successful for you. :)

Jen said...

I love how anti-induction you are. Girls who whine about how they want their baby already and beg their doctors for inductions irritate me to no end. Ummm...hello? Babies who are hanging out inside you might not be ready to come out yet.

However that aside, there are medical reasons for induction and you've got a whole host of them. I just hope everything works out for you and Karl arrives healthy and happy.

BTW, I remember you saying in the past that epidurals didn't work well for you. Are you concerned about that at all this time around?

Shinejil said...

Ah, Nancy, I'm sorry you're in bed rest hell, and hell it is (I imagine, never been forced to do it). I hope somehow, some way, the time passes quickly.

And it's indeed f-ed up that the thing you least want--induction--is the pull down menu you have to choose from.

I hope that despite all this crap, everything goes wonderfully and your guy arrives safe, sound, and swiftly (but not *too* swiftly).

Kaci said...

Damn...I'm holding on to hope that he'll turn again. Good luck with the decisions you have coming up. I know you'll do whatever it takes to keep Karl (and you) safe.

I agree about bedrest - I think it sounds heavenly but would really suck.

Anonymous said...

Nancy, you are the queen bee when it comes to research in statistics. I'm incredibly shocked (and disappointed, honestly) that you did not read up on any research and/or stats regarding external versions. Or maybe you did and did not blog about it? Either way, read up on it.

An external version is a majorly painful, unnatural thing, and if I remember correctly, success rates are 60% or less. With your being high risk already, and the VCI, I am shocked your dr. even gave you this option. My OB refuses to do them because of the risk, as well as the low success rate.

Honestly, I wouldn't put my baby in a position of risk, just to have a "natural" birth. Do the c-section and get him out safely. You are already well-cooked, or will be in 9 more days. Just my honest opinion, of course, but do your own investigating.

nancy said...

Anon, I have done my research. And like you said, that's all true. So we are doing the version under epidural for the pain and IN the OR in case of issue for the heightened risk of the cord issue. Although my doc is going to keep the cord/placenta under constant watch so if an issue arrises, he'll see it and they'll just do a c-section.

He only does versions in between 38-39 weeks, so the fact I may end up with a c-sec from it is why we are waiting until as close to 39 weeks as possible.

We (me and OB) discussed this at length yesterday and we don't believe we are putting my baby "in a position of risk, just to have a 'natural' birth."

Thanks for your anonymous input though.

Julie said...

Sorry about the bedrest Nancy, I'm sure you are going crazy.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you over the next week or so. Inductions are not great but they aren't the end all be all either. I was dead set against inducing until the dr told me baby Camryn might have something going on with her little heart and it would be so much easier for them to take a look and deal with it on the outside. I'm sure you and your dr will figure out what is going to be best for you and baby.

Melody said...

Holy growth spurt! Sorry you've got all of these crappy options. Me too. The upside, I keep thinking, is that at least I get to meet her soon. Karl sounds like a very healthy boy, and he's lucky to have a mama who's willing to do what it takes to get him here safely no matter how much it sucks. Thinking of you.

Nikki said...

That's so much to think about! Good luck - I hope everything turns out the way you want it to.

Lilith Silvermane said...

Honey... whatever happens... you will be totally ready for it all! You waited a long time for this day!

Thinking about you and your family!

Lilith Silvermane said...

HA... we were both writing on each other's blogs at the same time... and yes... 8 pounds by the 23rd :)

KatieM said...

Holy shit hun! It makes me so excited for you because I remember that appt when we set my C-sect. date and it was in 9 days, it is such a crazy feeling. Then monday it was all the sudden going to be the next day and I swear I walked around in a daze knowing exactly when my baby was coming.

Best of luck hun! Oh and not that my opinion means shit, but if it was up to me I would go straight to the planned C-sect because the thought of an emergency one due to the version makes me cringe; however my opinion is a bit skewed because the only birth experience I know is a planned surgery ;-)

Oh, and yay for Karl on the growth spurt =D

Anonymous said...

The version scares me big time! I'm hoping Karl will turn for you.
Bed rest is totally not it's all cracked up to be.

Krista said...

Hope he turns before then and all goes well! Hang in there. I'm thinking of you.

m said...

Dude, Karl got big!

Nancy, I am sure you talked about all of this at length with your doc. I hope Karl flips around before the version, but if he doesn't, I know you've got things as under control as you possibly can. I've heard about the acupuncture point too. No harm in trying, right?

Induction might not be the way you ideally wanted to go, but it does sound like you are well on your way to having a healthy (and big!) Karl in your arms soon (maybe sooner than you would have liked), but delayed gratification really isn't all its cracked up to be.

Thinking of you.

Peeveme said...

So stressful but I feel confident that no natter how it happens he will be healthy and that is the real goal. Everything else is gravy. And ya know what? You might not get any grave. But you get a healthy baby and that's pretty neat. I wish things were going as planned and you didn't have all these "options".

To A T said...

OH my!! That's soon!!

I can't imagine how tough the bedrest must be. I go crazy even when I am home sick and am able to move around!

I hope he just comes on his own soon :)

Lisa said...

Good luck and I hope that everything works out so that you have a good delivery and Karl has a safe arrival into this world.

Induction is not so bad especially if it is for the safety of the baby. My boys were induced because they were worried about them getting too big and to try and avoid the c-section. They are thriving now and no worse for wear.

Take care and we'll all be waiting to hear the good news.

Motel Manager said...

Like a previous poster, I've spent a couple of days on bedrest and felt NUTS. My heart goes out to those who are stuck on it for weeks or months. I hope you are hanging in there.

I'd also echo a PP about moxibustion (an acu technique) -- supposedly it has a high success rate for turning babies. Didn't work for me, however, though I am a true believer in acupuncture.

Anyway, holy crap! He'll be here soon, one way or another! And WOW on the growth spurt!

Kathy said...

Sounds like a lot of options!!!!

glad he is growing well though!!! we had an US the morning before Adriana was born and she told me she was 7lb 13oz. well she ended up being 8lb 13 oz!!

Good luck!! I hope Karl makes his entrance safely!!!

Hollie said...

Things are starting to get exciting around here. I really hope he turns and then you can wait until he comes on his own.

Anonymous said...

I didn't read all the comments but I have been checking in on your progress. I can't believe the time has already come. I usually don't comment but felt the need to in this case just so you get another view of things. And of course you'll do what you want but I thought I'd share my two cents. Version working at this stage is highly unlikely (speaking from experience) and sounds risky like you said. My best friend had a version at 38 weeks and had an emergency c-section that day--totally unexpected--because of the stress it caused the baby. A c-section may be inevitable in your case but I'd say a planned one versus an emergency one is much better. And like you, I am 100% against inductions and scheduled c-sections but of course they sometimes can't be avoided. Best of luck to you!