Saturday, October 24, 2009

'Cause this is Thriller, ...

... thriller night.



I took part in Thrill The World tonight. Our burlesque troupe put on the event for the Colorado Springs group. It was the world's largest simultaneous dance of Michael Jackson's Thriller. And tonight, I was part of it.

Funny, just as I was typing this, I saw a commercial for the news spot tonight. They showed the main guy I was dancing behind, so I wonder if I'll be on the news.

We all dressed up as zombies and danced the choreographed thriller dance. I learned part of the dance earlier on thursday night of this week and then we had a two hour practice session before the actual dance where I learned the rest. I finally picked it up pretty well before the performance, so I didn't look like a fool. In fact, if I may say so myself, I danced pretty damned well (for me!).

Thanks for all the comments on my previous posts. (And I still hope more people talk about their lost children in two posts behind this one.) The idea of becoming an RN seems so RIGHT for me. I would have never ever quit my job to finish my nursing degree, but now that I don't have a job, the timing couldn't be better.

Some other positives about going back to school next fall ... Allison will join Ella in going to school and I'll only have to pay for Karl in daycare. That's huge. AND, since I'm considered a senior in school (I have ~a lot~ of schooling under my belt, including a few degrees) I'll have the pick of my class times like I previously did and can totally work around their school schedules. I talked to my RN friend and she said I can even get a tech or CNA position once I'm into it and that will be a foot in the door for a job when I graduate.

I'll just get a student loan for fall semester and hopefully I'll qualify for some grants for the rest of it. I think they go off of the last year's tax returns, so 2009 will be out, as we made too much. But in 2010, we'll be a family of 5 surviving on one income and I may, just possibly, qualify for some help. I don't want to wrack up more student loans, since I've had them all paid off from my previous degrees, so hopefully I'll get lucky.

9 comments:

jenn said...

That picture is just creepy! Love it- I may have to do a little search for that news clip...

I am so excited for you for this new venture- it really does seem like everything is falling into place- at least I really hope so!!

..al said...

Well...you spook me out...and that means that your make-up is awesome. Well, these are the things memories are made of, so I hope you had a ball dancing in that.

Hey, All the best for the getting the grants to make it to the nursing school.

Not in the Water said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Not in the Water said...

Great Pic....

Really wanted to comment on RN thing.

YOU KNOW....For 3 extra classes (at least in NJ) you can become a SCHOOL NURSE! You'd have the kids schedule for the most part and the benefit of having a state job.

My sister is 28 and was a hospital nurse who worked 3 - 11 so she went to back to school for the few classes to become a school nurse, figuring she'd do that when she had kids. She did it in one summer and 2 semesters and when a school nursing job fell in her lap she took it.

Just an option :)

Kim

Julie said...

I'm excited for you. It's sounds like you are really excited about finishing your degree in nursing. I really hope you are able to get a bunch of grants to cover your classes.

Also, your makeup for thriller is really creepy. I'm so jealous that you were able to be a part of that. I suck at any form of dancing though so I probably wouldn't have been able to do it anyway.

Jen said...

The picture is great. You will have to check out my Facebook page. I went to a costume party last night. I think you will be shocked at my costume. Most everyone is. I will also be posting them on my blog in the next few days.

Sorry I didn't comment on your last post. I wanted to tell you that I think its a great idea. I can really see you being a nurse. Who knows, if I get my stuff in on time maybe we will be going back to school together.

Io said...

Okay, when that picture popped up in my reader I jumped a bit!
Your plan for school sounds excellent - I wish I could go back to being a senior...

Monica Fayth said...

This is so weird. I've pretty much decided to go to nursing school myself. I start school on the 16th to get my CNA and then after we move to WA in the spring, I'm going to look at getting my RN. Something to think about--if you're planning on becoming a CNA to get a foot in the door, a lot of hospitals will pay for you to get your RN as long as you sign a contract with them. My SIL works for the VA and she says not only will they pay for your classes and books, but they will pay you your normal salary while you go to school full time and you just have to work on your breaks.

Birdee said...

I am seriously so damn jealous. I want so badly to be in a Thriller dance.
How did you come across this opportunity?


GL on your schooling and grants.