Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sunday's Guest Blogger ... Lori! ... Nope, It's Elana!

Lori didn't get me a post (booo!) so instead, I offer you Elana ...

"What to get pregnant? Find an ugly man"

Hi everyone! I'm Elana from Elana's Musings (elanasmusings.blogspot.com), and I am Nancy's guest blogger today! I got an email from BabyMed.com the other day, and I just really need to share it with you all. Here it goes:

"Women wanting to get pregnant should find themselves an ugly man, new research suggests. Scientists have found attractive males produce less sperm during sex. Researchers think good-looking males are biologically geared to hold back their sperm in each encounter to increase their chance of impregnating more females. But unattractive males know they are not going to bed so many females -- so when they do get lucky they give it all they've got."

"The findings from the University of Oxford and University College London are backed up by studies of chickens and fish, but researchers think they could well apply to humans too. 'Human attractiveness is complicated and influenced by a number of factors including cultural preferences,' said UCL researcher Sam Tazzyman. 'Nonetheless, ejaculate size and sperm quality are likely to have been molded by similar forces, like attractiveness and the number of sexual partners, that are important in other species.' Reporting the findings on the university's Web site, Tazzyman said, 'The more attractive a male is, the more females will be willing to mate with him, reducing the value of each mating to him. This means it is optimal for him to contribute fewer sperm per mating.'"

I nearly died laughing when I read this. I mean really, do you honestly think a man's "attractiveness" contributes to how good he'll be at getting a woman knocked up? I can't wait to see your reactions to this! Are YOU married to an "ugly man"???? :-)

16 comments:

mommybird said...

That is the funniest thing ever! We've conceived rather quickly, his sperm must think he's ugly ;)

MrsSpock said...

My husband has donor-quality sperm- and he ain't no man-troll.

Hollie said...

That is hilarious!! LOL!! That might be the funniest thing I've ever heard. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to pass this around. My DH is very good looking and his SA always turned out good.

Mareike said...

I had no trouble getting pregnant (with my now long ex.) He wasn't bad to look at but if ugly in personality counts then he is a supportive sample of the claim.
On another note; Nancy is a hilariously delightful houseguest. I'm having a blast!

Jennifer said...

haha! That is messed up...why would you even research that anyway. What is their definition of ugly? It various from person to person (to a degree) how could they get accurate research based on opinion. lol

They did mentioned the more good looking he is the more partners he tends to have. Maybe it is STDs that actually cause the lower fertility...with the "players" at least. lol

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Nancy -- I DID get you a post -- on Thursday! Check your email again.

Elana -- seriously!? I'm trying to figure out what an ugly chicken or fish looks like!

~*JaYmE*~ said...

Wow that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard! Seriously scientist really need to put their time into something that actually makes a difference. I just dont buy that at all. Can't see where someones attractivness could mean shit in getting someone pregnant. I guess I'm not a scientist though... what do I know =)

jenn said...

That is hilarious! I am also wondering what the criteria are for ugly chickens & fish...

The hub had a primo- grade A sample for our iui... maybe that means he really is ugly- the study must be right, right? I mean- done by scientists & all...

Geochick said...

hahahaha! Well, my DH has counts off the g-d charts...and that has nothing to do with my infertility. I'll bet he'll be pissed to read this article though considering he's not an ugly-dude

Kate said...

hilarious! cracked me up...

A Wife and a Teacher said...

Oh man! Maybe that is our problem- my husband is too cute!!!

Kristin said...

That is truly bizarre and the fact that Baby-Med sent it out is hysterical.

Unknown said...

Hmmm, my ex was pretty cute and he had fewer swimmers than a shark tank... Is this like the EPT "Fertility" test?

Jenn BG said...

OMG...I needed this. I am cracking up. I TOTALLy don't think it is true! My DH is a hotty and I am truelly blessed to have gotten KU'ed on the first try...3 different times. I am a scientist too, so I know my experience is only one data point (or maybe 3 correlated one...yes, I am a statistician too). I am trying to think about this in terms of biology, though and it doesn't make sense. If we were truelly put here to keep the human race going, then why wouldn't a man want to inpregnate the women EVERY time. Women are the limiting factor for procreation...not men. They could make a baby multiple times a day and biologically that would be advantagious, since they would leave more copies of their DNA on the earth. Just doesn't add up for me.

Io said...

This explains why my husband is so handsome! He has NO sperm coming out!

Brett said...

You know... I can't help it if I have a high sperm count. I don't really like the insinuation that it also means I'm as ugly as a red-headed stepchild.

I mean, what's next? Will there be a public outcry to start beating us with sticks?