Monday, September 15, 2008

Schnarkiness.

There are a few things out there in blogland from the past few days that have ~really~ gotten under my skin. It's nothing at all focused at me or even remotely so, but the judgements I have seen just have really truly irked me.

It's just when people mention really sensitive subjects without even a hint of understanding there ~may~ just be another viewpoint out there. That even though they think very strongly about something, the assumption is it's their opinion or you are just plain wrong.

And that's not what I'm about.

I'm about talking about sensitive subjects when the mood strikes me. I like controversy. But if anyone has been reading me for any length of time, you will notice that I ~always~ leave room for the other side. I may not agree with the majority of the other side, but I do understand there are always exceptions where even my strong viewpoint can understand the value of the other side.

I'm not going to talk about the subject(s) I've seen lately because it's not one of those things that strike me to talk about. Like politics, I have my viewpoints but it's just not something I'm interested in discussing here.

The whole reason I brought it up is it's made me quite schnarky. What it's done is made me focus on anything at all I don't agree with and I want to comment with my sarcasm. I want to tell some seeking support on a variety of issues to suck it up. I want there to be an eyeroll emoticon. See? I told you. I'm schnarky now. And that's not how I usually am. (okay, i'll admit, I am always a little schnarky, but I ~usually~ can keep it to myself.) So I may have to take a short break from commenting until I can get this under control. Blogs are out there to do just what everyone does - cry about the crappiness that they see is in their life. Discuss their opinions. And while I can choose to comment or not, if I do comment, it should be with support or a civil discussion of my own viewpoints. Except that's not how things are coming out.

Please forgive my silence for a day or so.

14 comments:

Lisa said...

I completely understand what you are saying and applaud you for taking the higher ground. I don't think I would be able to be the bigger person...

Jenera said...

I do the exact same thing. Mostly when I'm in a crappy mood myself and I see others complaining about stuff that isn't that bad compared to what I might be dealing with at that moment. I tend to stay of the computer during those times myself.

Anonymous said...

um, but you would like e-mail the person that was being a butthole if you were like computer friends with them, right?
damn I hate being paranoid...
xo

Kaci said...

But I like schnarky Nancy!

Charlotte said...

There are days when I have to do that too, just stay to myself for a while when I feel like I won't have anything nice or good to say to anyone. I'll even let every call go to voicemail when I feel like I won't be able to contain myself. I always just think to myself "Karma, Karma, Karma..."

Io said...

Heh. I'm with Calli!
And I am a fan of your snarky self.

Leslie Laine said...

Thanks for the comment - I'm sure it was your blog that gave me the "Hail Mary" descriptor - and I love it!

Here's to your "schnarkiness" - I don't know, sometimes a little schnarky is good for the soul - and it's thought provoking as well. :)

Geohde said...

Hope it wasn't me who offended...
'

J

jenn said...

I love you schnarky- wouldn't want it any other way.
I do agree about the narrow minded approach to opinions. Maybe it's because I really am a Libra- but I am all about the balance & being able to at least see the different sides to the same story.

Hope you come back to commenting soon though...

sara said...

You do a good job with talking about topics but letting it be an open ended discussion for both sides and all opinions - which I think is pretty darn cool of you. Boo for people who make you feel schnarky (not sure if I spelled that right), but yay for cool people like you! At least that's what I think, LOL! Hope the rest of the week is an even better one :-)

Wordgirl said...

I'm like that first grader when the teacher gets mad -- Oh jesus, it's me isn't it?

I did something.

*blush and feel guilty for no apparent reason*

Silence can be good Nancy -- but we miss you!

Anonymous said...

*thinks carefully of what I've posted in the last few days*

Hope it was nothing *I* said? Oh yes that's right I have not really said much of interest or opinionated (sp?)in the last few days...

Crunchy Green Mom - Suzanne said...

Um... I am putting in my vote for my favorite snarky lady!

Even if the snarkiness is directed towards me. I like it. It is honest.

~Joe said...

This very well could be about me :(, but I dont mind hearing others opinions, as different from mine as they may be, I hope I dont come off that way, I just like to vent.