Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Transfer officially ~cancelled~

This is such my luck, why didn't I have it on my radar as a possibility? Why wasn't I ready for this? It hit me so hard because it was simply such a shock.

This morning, the extra day of growth didn't do crap - the thinnest layer of lining was only pushing 6mm, so my transfer has been officially cancelled. There is the thicker part of my lining around 9-10mm, but apparently, it all has to be thick - the one area is the one that matters. Suck.

Regarding my soon to be (hopefully) embryos, they will go to freeze immediately upon fertilization. Apparently the cells are more stable at this point, so freezing them before they grow ends up in a higher percentage of embryos to transfer. That's a good thing, but now I'll be in the dark about how many make it. I already have a name for the group of fertilized embryos, if they make it that far and I'll give that name out once we have them in the freezer.

As for schedule of my FET, it should be April 23rd -May 8th. Our head embryologist travels between offices, so he's only there during pre-scheduled times. This is why our clinic groups everything together. Barring any issues with ER (ohss or anything under the sun), I should be able to go directly into my FET. I just have to get my AF by the 18th to fit into the schedule. That is 3 weeks after ER, so should be okay. If I get AF before the 9th, I just need to go on bcp for a few ~days~. Not a problem. Bottom line, FET should be in about 4 weeks from now. I can handle that.

ER is Friday morning. Yipee. I haven't the heart to be excited.

I'm waiting on the call from my blood work. The nurse said she had a conference call from the out of town doc (the one who measured the thicker part) and the one from today - and they will specifically go over the aspect of my lining being different thicknesses. I'm okay with the decision to move to FET, as I really do want the best landing pad for my embryos, but for peace of mind, I need to know that each RE was in agreement.

So that's that.

23 comments:

Beth said...

Nancy, I am so sorry that this cycle got canceled. I am thinking of you.

Beth

Jen said...

I sound like a broken record, but I am so sorry. I hope the retrieval results in a multitude of eggs and the FET arrives very very soon.

Amber said...

Sorry that you have to go through this hun!

Question though...what is the difference between IVF and FET? I have heard of both but never having to personally deal with them I am at a loss.

((((HUGS)))

nancy said...

Amber, FET is "frozen embryo transfer". So instead of putting back embryos right after they are fertilized in IVF, I have to freeze my embryos and wait for another cycle. Same thing for the most part, just a month of waiting.

Tammy's Thought Pattern said...

I have no words for how much my heart is breaking for you. I wish I could hug you in person.

{{{HUGS}}}

Fertilized said...

Nancy - I am so sorry that you have to do more waiting. I am thinking of you

Meg said...

This just sucks Nancy, but you are on the "books" for April which I guess is a good thing to look forward to.

If you are up for it and want to process this crap, we should try and get a few of us together for some happy hour someplace.

Chris said...

Oh crap! I can certainly understand your disappointment, and I'm so sorry you have to go through this. This nasty IF business just keeps getting nastier, doesn't it? Just when you think you have it figured out, or outsmarted, it throws another monkey wrench into things. Ugh. Again, so sorry.

Carrie said...

I am so so sorry to hear that this cyle has to be cancelled. I can't imagine how frustrating that must be.
Of course if this gives your embryos the best chance it is absolutely the right thing to do but that won't make it any easier right now.

Io said...

This stinks.
I'm glad the FET won't be too far away, but still. Ug.

jenn said...

I'm so sorry about this cycle. I'm glad that you are scheduled for April, but how I wish it wasn't so. I wish so many tings right now, none of which I can do, but I am here with theoretical open arms for whatever you need.

waitinginline said...

I'm still so sorry that the transfer was cancelled.

I hope that the conference call brings a perfect plan for a perfect lining and that your FET goes textbook!

Monica Fayth said...

Nancy, I just wanted to let you know that you are definitely in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry this isn't working out quite as planned. I wish there was something I could do or say to make things better. Hoping for better news in the future

Duck said...

AS you knew, my lining blew the BIG ONE, they grew until day 3 and then froze the embies, if we had more than 8 we would have grown to day 5, our doc said longer before thawing is better. We'll see you and I will FET togeather.

Duck said...

I'm an idiot, I read on lost and found that you needed advice on when to freeze, i don't understand where all these doc's get their different information, you would think that something like when to freeze the embies would be a consistant thing.... guess not.

Maryanne said...

Hugs!!! I am so sorry Nancy - I hope ER goes well and you get lots of little ones to go to FET!!!

Denise said...

I like Meg's suggestion for happy hour. Let us know if you're up to it.

Cancelled cycles just completely suck ass no matter how quickly you can get back on the horse. I really hope that you are the example to restore my faith in FET's. I so, so, so hope you get lots of good embryos and your lining cooperates quickly!

Knucks said...

I really hate to hear this. . . I know it's so disappointing for you. You're in my thoughts.

Denise said...

Hey, Nancy. Just saw your question on L&F. Our embryos were all frozen the day after retrieval. For our first thaw, they thawed 4 and 3 survived. For this last one they thawed all 14, and 10 survived the thaw.

Feel free to email if you have any other questions.

luna said...

nancy, sorry about the cancelled transfer. hopefully they'll get you some great embryos and you'll be you where you need to be for the FET.

what's their minimum lining before they'll do it? what's the optimum? just curious as it seems each clinic is different. (mine says their success rates are the same for 7-12mm, but the 7 has to be a solid 7)
~luna

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say that could comfort you. This really sucks and I'm very upset for you. I'm not much of a praying person but you are in my thoughts and I can only hope that the next cycle will result in those embies being transfered and a beautiful baby is concieved.

Cate

Sunny said...

I just had my little ones frozen immediately too. My doc said it is the best for them. I have no news on the thawing or any of that since it just took place yesterday. I hope you get to transfer soon!

Geohde said...

Nancy, I am sorry,

J