Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Hospitals are ~Fun~!

As I may have mentioned, my kids have been sick, the little one being really bad on Thursday. So when I came down with a fever this weekend, I was being a little extra cautious. Here's how the events worked out ...

~ 10:45am - Called nurse to let her know of fever (101.3) which was staying in the 99's with tylenol. She told me to go to urgent care due to having no appointments available.

~ 11:15am - In waiting room at urgent care.

~ 12:30pm - Gone through all steps and have been seen by doctor. Lungs sound fine, but she's worrying about my belly, as when she pushes on the sides, very low under uterus, I wince in pain. She is now worried it's diverticulitis (yeah, had to look that one up) or even appendicitis. I told her is just felt like I was sore from coughing, as it hurts when I cough and only started with the heavy dry cough. But she says she's transferring me to the hospital. What?

~ 12:45pm - Paperwork given and I was asked to sign a "refusal for ambulance" (heh.) and had to sign another waiver that if I didn't go to hospital on my own, it was that whole leaving against Dr's advice thing and my insurance may not pay. (believe me, my insurance would have rather me go home!)

~ 1:15pm - All signed in at ER and in triage. "Did you get cleared by L&D?" "Nope, I just got here, no one told me to go there." I get transferred to a very very quiet L&D.

~ 1:30pm - All hooked up to the monitors. Baby's HR is great but low and behold - I'm contracting very slightly (BHC) every 3-7 minutes. They call my OB and I'm cleared if I'm given IV fluid in ER (which is where I'm still trying to get to). So down to ER I go. The ER is now PACKED with people. Crap. Crap. Crap.

~ 1:45pm - Back in triage after a teeny wait. Vitals taken, I keep apologizing for being there. They laugh and say that 75% of the people in the waiting room don't need an ER visit. It didn't make me feel any better. Good news is my time at Urgent Care and L&D "counts" as time spent, so I'm next for a bed!

~ 2:15pm - I'm in a bed and I've peed in a cup. Which just sits there. It's a busy day as I hear ambulance after ambulance come in (probably from all the urgent cares. <--- sarcasm.)

~ 3:00pm - The NP is working all of the non-bad (i can't think of the word) cases and she thinks urgent care is stupid. She agrees I need IV fluids, but I don't have that colon thingy nor appendicitis (duh). Nurse comes in, can't get IV (I have terrible veins plus being dehydrated didn't help) and I got an IV in my inner wrist. Good lord. I've had IVs in my feet before due to no veins, but the inner wrist? Ouch. And pushing 2000ccs of fluid through that? Yeah. I had to keep my wrist extended, as if I relaxed the IV would stop. And I found doing "the fonzie" made it drip faster.

~ 4:00pm - The NP comes back in and tells me my urine is clear of UTI but "heavy with ketones" (no idea what that means). But my white blood cells count is "really high" and she is worried that it's too high for a simple viral infection. Now they want xrays.

~ 5:00pm - Xray is done (I asked them to take an xray of my belly but they said no. I mean, how cool would that of been?!! Yeah, yeah, radiation, fetus, I know.) and chest is clear. First IV bag finally finishes. The second is hung.

~ 7:00pm - The second bag finishes! Yay! I'm free of IV!

~ 7:45pm - I'm finally discharged with a diagnosis of "you are sick." Funny.

So that was my day yesterday. I bet you wish you were me, eh? (more sarcasm.)

33 comments:

Mareike said...

Yikes!! and here I was appealing to you for a bit of support. Sorry. I'm glad there was nothing drastic happening. Divertiulitus is no fun. My second husband had to have a colostomy because of that (reversed three months later but it was awful.) Take care. You are the best!!

nancy said...

Mareike, You have an email coming from me as soon as I write it!

Nikki said...

Does not sound like my favorite way of spending the day!

But glad you're back home and I hope you feel better soon.

MrsSpock said...

What a sucky day!

They used to do preggo pelvic x-rays all the time in the 60s and 70s. My mother had one with my older sister.

Misty Dawn said...

Wow!! That is crazy Nancy! I couldn't imaging going to the DR w/my child then have them tell me that I needed to go to the ER. ~crazy~ Not like I even have a child to take to the DR. I was super worried though when I saw your post heading. OMG Thank goodness you and baby are ok.

Cara said...

Wow! not expected, eh? Did the little one stay with you for all this? Yikes!

Glad all is well even if you are ...sick.

((hugs))

Elana Kahn said...

Sheesh...I hate ERs because of the needless wait and no real diagnosis. But you did make me laugh with "Yeah, yeah, radiation, fetus, I know." I was reading somewhere that the highest amount of safe radiation for a fetus is 5rad, which is like 50,000 dental x-rays or some other ungodly # of mammograms. lol I mean really, I can understand being wary in 1st tri, but a baby is still human and can deal with a little radiation--if it couldn't, then we would have died out long ago. I think a belly x-ray would've been cool. :-)

Birdee said...

Sounds like you just need a standing appointment with the hospital anymore ;)
I'm glad they found out what was wrong with you -(added sarcasm)
I'm glad your both okay.

Shea said...

Ketones are normally linked with diabetes but I bet your case with them is that you hadn't eaten much before going in or more so the fact you were dehydrated.

Glad everything is okay now though!

JJ said...

Yikes, lady! Just glad you and Karl are OK!

Jannie Funster said...

You must've been over the moon when you busted out of your infertility and into Baby Land.

Glad to hear you are o.k.

And sorry to barge in on your blog like this but I found you via our mutual "endometriosis" tags on our Blogger profiles and yesterday on my humble blog I posted a blurb on my fertility / endo probs with a link to a petition my pal Jeanne has sent to Oprah and The View for endo awareness and facts.(signatures still more than welcome!)

Soapchick said...

I'm thankful that's all it was! - sickness! May you feel all better very soon!

Kaci said...

Wow Nancy. I'm sorry you had a shitty day. I hope you're feeling better soon.

JW Moxie said...

Fun stuff. It sounds like you were being shuffled through the medical version of CYA. Hope you're feeling better!

Amanda said...

That had to be a little scary. I'm so glad that you and Karl are both OK and it wasn't anything too serious. And great diagnosis. Aren't they just so detailed.

IV in the wrist??? From the ER??? Makes me shudder just thinking about it!!

Hollie said...

Sorry you had a crappy day at the hospital being shuffled around all over the place. I hope you get some rest and feel better soon.

Io said...

Man, I'm glad you're just *sick*. But what a shitty shitty time suck the ER is.

To A T said...

Eek!!
I hate being sick, but add in all you went through, I would have gone apeshit on someone!

The Captain's Wife said...

I'm super jealous of you.....yeah don't think so.

Take care of yourself Nancy...I was this close to buying Karl a gift today...but wasn;t sure if you'd send me your mailing address or not. If you would, please do, cause i saw something that I would really LOVE to get him...

Jen said...

Yuck, I hate emergency rooms! Hat them, with a passion!!

I'm glad everything is good with you and Karl, despite feeling like crap. Get better soon.

Are you telling me I should do MORE shopping?

nancy said...

Jen, I'm just saying that comparitively speaking, you are a retail therapy rookie! ~wink~

Amanda said...

Interesting day! Im not fond of hospitals myself, but glad you and you little girl are fine. :)

Christina said...

All of that just to find out you're sick? Yuck. Hope you feel better.

jenn said...

I ~hate~ the ER. I'm glad they could really help you out there... ;o) stupid er.

Hope you're feeling better really soon- I have terrible veins too After 3 days in the hospital I had one in each arm, then the back of hand, then they tried to go to one of the arms again for blood. big mistake!

Rita said...

Ketones means you are burning body fat for energy. Good for me and not good for you. Hope you're able to eat something and get back to normal. [what is normal, really?]
Rita

Kaci said...

Actually just responding to your comment on my post. I guess I wasn't totally clear. The infertile didn't do anything at all to hurt me, it was just the fact that it's the first time I've seen her & hubby interact with kids in their home - they are so deserving and it's not happening - that is what hurt. (and I had told her hubby that I'd have the kids with me & would just drop stuff off if they weren't up for a visit so please don't think I just randomly showed up with my kids - I would never do that knowing about the infertility)

Sara said...

Oh my! I am glad you are home and hopefully you are feeling better. Don't you just love hospitals?

Wordgirl said...

Nancy --

What an awful day -- I hope you're taking good care of yourself.

Love,

Pam

Geohde said...

Ouch. Hope you feel better soon. Ketones in your wee mean you're starved, they're from breaking down muscle when you've run out of suger because you haven't eaten in a while. Dehydration makes it worse.


J

Sarah said...

Well that sucks! Ugh. What a waste of time. Sorry about the IV in the wrist--ouchies!

Jen said...

Uggh. Glad you are home and hope you are back to your normal self soon!

Peeveme said...

Wow, that is a crappy day. But gldd all is ok (if a bit uncomfortable and a waste of time).

Jamie said...

Wow - I hope you had a good book to read!

Hope you feeling better . . .