Saturday, August 2, 2008

It's hot.

I'm in phoenix, visiting my best friend for her bridal shower. I'll be coming down at the end of the month for her wedding, but for now, it's quite a relaxing weekend of seeing friends.

But damn. It's hot. Now, I lived in phoenix for a majority of my life and I know what this heat is like. But over the last 11 years in colorado, I've become quite unaccustomed to the relentless heat that is august in phoenix. Yesterday's ~low~ was 96. That's ridiculous.

I've been hanging out and seeing a lot of friends. And everyone is enthralled with the baby belly. I'm wearing little tiny tank tops here, so there is NO hiding it. I'm poking out quite well at 15 weeks.

Last night, we went to one of my favorite bars from back in the day - Casey Moore's. Still quite the hip place too - packed, like normal. I was bumming watching everyone drink their guinness and ciders. But I did partake a teensy little bit and stole a few sips. Funny thing was these two girls at another table saw me and they started hating on me. All staring and pointing and rolling their eyes. On one of their stares I met their with my own and asked if they had anything to say. They got scared and moved tables. That's right - run away from the pregnant chick. wouldn't that be awesome? Watching a pregnant girl fight two dumb girls? heh.

The bridal shower is finally on today's agenda, so I'm off to get ready. I'm not reading anyone's blog, so I feel definitely out of the loop. I'll check back on all of you next week!

14 comments:

docgrumbles said...

Grrr...reminds me of all the looks I get when I drink half a soda or order an iced tea with a meal - read the research - tiny bits won't do harm!

It is hot in N.O., too, and I am not just visiting. It is my reality. I am glad the third trimester (knock on wood) will/would/should occur during our cooler (i.e., less hot but not truly cold) months.

Crunchy Green Mom - Suzanne said...

That's ok.. we will send the loop to you.

Colorado is hot. Yesterday it was 103. Yep.. Colorado isn't actually here anymore, it melted into a lump of granola, health food and weed. It should smell lovely when you get back.

Today wasn't horrible, right now it's windy out where I am, I think my tree in front of my place is gonna blow away.

I went to the Underground concerts last night off Broadway, it was fab! I found a wonderful bar called "The Skylark Lounge", How did I never know of this place?
They have swing dance lessons every other Saturday night.

So anyhow, I was there and as I was walking back to the car (my heels were KILLIN' me!)and I was with my guy friend whining that I'd have to wait about another year before I could go out with you to the bars :) It's for a good cause, but... it would fun!!!

Have fun in the heat, and with your friends, I'm going to sit in front of my air conditioner.

BYE!!

g said...

glad your having fun in arizona.. hope you had a good time at the shower!.. i was in your neck of he woods today... met Tori for lunch at the Pf Changs in Co Springs.. too bad you werent in town u could have met up with us! :(... next time! have a safe trip back!

Nadine said...

Europeans have been known to continue to drink wine or beer on occasion when pregnant, but, don't be surprised if people stare.

I have been in a situation where I watched a very pregnant woman balance a pint on her belly and but Mr. Duck and I stared the whole time, what I wouldn't give to be able to get pregnant, it's hard for infertiles to watch pregnant women drink, even if it's just a sip.

nancy said...

Duck, I honestly didn't think of it that way.

Anonymous said...

AHH! Casey Moore's!! I was born and raised in Tempe - went to ASU! I certainly don't miss the heat, but the humidity is killing me here on the East Coast. Enjoy the rest of your stay.
Karen

Nadine said...

No worries Nancy, I think it's normal for a pg woman to want a sip or two of beer or wine, I mean who wouldn't! It's just in North America it's a totally prejudiced thing, I know you wouldn't do anything to hurt your new little one.
Sorry to hear of the hot weather, it's been moderate here, only in the mid 30's. Stay hydrated.

Ali said...

My parents left here - Northern California - this morning for a week in Colorado. I can't tell you how excited my mom was for some cooler weather!

Anonymous said...

Would have loved to have seen you take out those girls! Heh. People need to mind their own business.

My mom drank a glass of wine almost daily when she was pregnant with me and I turned out just fine (brilliant, actually). ;) I am *sure* a few sips are not going to harm anything, of course you know that already.

Enjoy the rest of your stay in AZ!

Catie said...

Sip here, sip there, no big deal. My MIL was actually told by her dr to have a glass of wine at night when she was preggo with DH to get his wild and crazy toosh to calm down enough for her to sleep.

Morgan Owens said...

Dust your shoulders...and shake them haters off. :)

Anonymous said...

Nancy,
There was an interesting article about moderate drinking while pregnant in the NY Times a while ago (your experience made me think of it and how heated the discussion got about the article among my friends). Here's a link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/29/dining/29preg.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=drink%20for%20two%20pregnancy&st=cse&oref=slogin

nancy said...

Jane, thanks for the article. It shows the "proof" of what I thought - the studies of drinking while pregnant used heavy drinking as it's subjects, with 5 or more drinks per day. Wow!

Peeveme said...

Wow you are 15 weeks already! Time is flying. And no, I don't think there is any hiding that you are pregnant tank-tops or not.