Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A note to the previous post...

A few people left comments regarding this and I thought it was important enough to mention it.

Babies make noise when they sleep. So much noise I actually turned off the monitor during the night (nursery is literally 10 feet from my bed, so I could hear them just fine). If I had the baby in my bedroom, co-sleeper, crib, bassinet, whatever, I would get even LESS rest. It's amazing that no matter how sleep deprived I was, I never ever slept through my baby's cries or before I turned of the monitor, every little noise.

Lisa made a very good point too. Babies cry in their sleep. And if the baby was in the room, a mother would more than likely breastfeed the baby when it was actually not necessary. My babies would cry in their sleep and like Lisa, by the time I walked the whole 15 feet to their crib, they'd be asleep again and I would simply go back to bed. If the baby was next to me, I'd pick up the baby right away and nurse. This would get the child used to breastfeeding all the time and I'm betting there could be some sleeping through the night issues where there wouldn't be.

Which leads me to another point. If a mother wakes up each and every time the baby made the slightest of noise, the mother would be getting even ~less~ sleep. And if that mother brought the baby to bed and slept while nursing, there would be an even higher risk of a deadly accident. (To read how easy it really is for this to happen, read the comments from the previous post. There is some really good information there.)

7 comments:

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

I wish I had been better about getting our boys to sleep in their own cribs and rooms when they were infants. I'm sure we all would have slept Alot better.
You look marvelous, btw.

tobacco brunette said...

I'm on the same page with you - I saw that autopsy episode before I even started IVF and knew I'd not be doing co-sleeping. I know babies aren't suffocated accidentally in their sleep every day, but it happens often enough to make me not want to do it. Plus, I want my bed to be my and my husband's space. Not into the family bed idea, but it does seem to work well for a lot of people.

Chastity said...

I said I'd never co-sleep, and then we did. Ugg. Thankfully, we were able to eventually move her to her pack n play and then after a month or two of that she was in her crib in her own room. I'm guessing things are going to have to be different this time, b/c double babies in my bed...no thanks.

Denise said...

I have no intention of letting those cribs go to waste from day one. I'm like you in that I need my personal space. I can't even sleep if my husband or one of the dogs is touching me, at all. Plus, killing my child with a dangerous sleep situation is one risk I can completely avoid. It is one thing that is within my control, unlike so many others.

Anonymous said...

We all need to make educated decisions. Even great parents usually must accept some risks, such as some you've already mentioned in the last week. There are too many rules to count, and some even seem to contradict eachother. Some might accept one risk and not another. Take you and I, for example. You might accept the risk of certain deli meat, but not ride a bicycle while pg, while I did just the opposite. We both considered the risks carefully and made informed choices (which I think were both done with the blessing of our doctors in this case).

While SIDS experts recommend keeping the baby in the parent's room, but in their own safe sleep space, for the first 6 months, many great moms don't do that. SIDS experts recommend not using bumper pads. Many great moms do use them -fearing the child will get a leg or arm stuck in the crib rails. SIDs experts recommend breastfeeding and also recommend pacifiers. Other child "experts" suggest not using pacifers for better breastfeeding, or fear of harming teeth...etc.

No matter where your baby sleeps, safety is important and there are measures that can be taken to minimize the risks. Hopefully discussions like these will help others embarking on parenthood to research and consider their choice carefully.

Kaci said...

Scarlett was SO noisy as a newborn, there were times I had trouble sleeping with her in the nursery! Good point!

Anonymous said...

I've never found my babies to be noisy sleepers. Often cosleeping parents respond to their kids without fully waking so thats how more sleep happens.