Monday, August 18, 2008

Survival Rate by Gesational Age.

  1. This is really just for me to plunk down somewhere so I can find it easily. I always have to search for it.

    There are more detailed charts out there, but this one was as basic as I needed.

    Advances in medical care have made it possible for many premature infants to survive and develop normally. However, whether or not a premature infant will survive is still intimately tied to his or her gestational age:

    21 weeks or less: 0% survival rate
    22 weeks: 0-10% survival rate
    23 weeks: 10-35% survival rate
    24 weeks: 40-70% survival rate
    25 weeks: 50-80% survival rate
    26 weeks: 80-90% survival rate
    27 weeks: greater than 90% survival rate

    (note: many charts simply list the first number. This one gives a better range.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nancy you just sound so much like I was. I just could never stop worrying that something was going to go wrong. I was so happy to finally reach the point where if my baby was born she would be OK. It's funny people say the third trimester is the worst because you're so big. For me it was the best.

Elana Kahn said...

That is really awesome! Thanks for posting it! I may put it on my blog as well so I'll have it somewhere easily accessable. Btw, I love your comments--if it is twins, you win. ;-) And then post a guess on my baby pool.

Denise said...

Have you seen a similar chart for twins? Seems like a good way to have goals and mark off the milestones.

Monica Fayth said...

okay, so that means I've only got about 10 more weeks to really worry. :/

Geohde said...

I remember counting down gestational weeks after I started contracting at 20 and breathed a sigh of relief each time...

J

Motel Manager said...

I'm glad you posted this since I was just looking for the info and knew I could come back here and find it. Where did you originally find it? Or what search terms did you use?