Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Cancelled Again.

Well, kind of.

My lining never made it past the 7mm so my doc has thrown his hands up and given me the options of where to go next.

Option 1: Just go for FET. With a lining of 7mm, he only gives it a 30% chance of pregnancy though. If I choose this, we can start PIO right away and get to it.

Option 2: Take 5 days of femara, starting tomorrow, and then supplement with stim injections to produce some follicles. Then, go for combo IUI/FET in about a week and a half. Pros and Cons - I could grow more lining: pro. I could grow too many eggs and cancel: con. My embryos may die in thaw, but I'd have follies to IUI with: con and pro. After all of this, I may still not have anything and I just extended out my wait by another 2 weeks: con.

Option 3: Stop all meds and get AF. Then try again. RE said with lining issues, it tends to get better from cycle to cycle. But it may not.

So. Decision time. At first I was leaning with option 2, but now I think about the cons and that scares me. Better chance for lining, yes, but more chance for cancellations and failures. And we know how I feel about having "too many" eggs in there. I don't see how I could transfer embryos AND have follicles. Sounds tempting, but I'm very strong on my decision to not allow for too many. I'm not cool with SR in this case (knowing and trying for more, just to get what you want).

Option 1 is good because there still is a lot riding on embryos making it. And if they don't, then I've wasted the extra time. Option 2 is scaring me because of everything I said above. Hell, now I'm all confused.

I have a call in to the nurse to ask her about Option 2 without stims or IUI. To see how much of a chance I have at growing lining. If it's negligible, I'm done and going to FET now.

I'll obviously make my own decision, but would love to know, what would you do?

14 comments:

Duck said...

I know that they like a big fluffy lining, but, I would go for it with 7mm(that would be huge for me). I don't understand why the lining would get bigger each time?
Also I had lots of follicles developing naturally when I went in for my day 10 scan, and the lining was still misserable, so not sure really if doing an iui/FET really makes any difference, if I was going to take stims I would do a whole new IVF cycle.
SO if it was me I would go for it with 7mm.
Good luck deciding.

Anonymous said...

Nancy,
First I want to say I'm so sorry!! I cant believe this is happing to you again. Sucks ass girl. I dont really have an opinion for you other than just go w/your gut. I dont know what I would choose. I was thinking 2 or 3. Because if you go w/1 and it doesnt take you are completely starting over. Am I right? I know you dont want to have to wait any longer than you have to. Good luck in your decision and I'm sorry you have to make it. ~Jayme~

wikkid-smaht said...

you don't know me, but i've been following your blog for a while.

i'd do option 1. 30% is not terrible odds and it's better than the 0% of not trying at all. any "normal" try is only 20% anyway and lots of people make it happen.

your mod squad is ready!

Cat said...

I'd go for option 1- there is no definitive info to say that 7mm would not support a succesful preg. For this age group with IVF, 30% really is not bad odds.

Check out this website: See the doctor's answer on thin linings.

http://health.asiaone.com/Health/Women%2527s+Matters/Story/Lining+too+thin+for+a+successful+pregnancy.html

If you have to go through with Option 2, I would just go through another fresh cycle since you would have to stim all over again.

Opt 3 makes no sense to me, if it got better cycle to cycle, you would not be here at this point....

**susy** said...

I was going to write what wikkid said abt the 20%. I think at 7mm you should do the FET. Totally sucks you even have to be at this crossroad. Nothing but the best in whatever you decide to do. =]

Tammy said...

This is a tough one. I don't know what I would do. On one hard doing IUI and FET seems to cover all the bases but like you said, multiples would not be good. Then if you have to start over again from scratch, there are still no absolutes.

Here is one more possible way to look at it... When they thaw and split, they can be frozen again. Maybe that is the answer. Did you have thin lining with Ella? If so, that coulsd also be a weigh in.

Tammy said...

When it comes down to it, Option one is the best bet.

Beth said...

I say go for #1. I really hope this works, and I am sorry you are having to decided & faced with this issue again.

KatieM said...

Ugh, I so hate this title for you...=(. Option one just seems like the best way to go right now...unless your nurse can say otherwise, there is no guarantee the femara sans stims and IUI will increase your lining *that* much (but of course seeing what she has to say about it is important)....but other than that, start PIO and go for the FET. 30% is better than you've had in a really long time. You deserve the chance! If things go awry and you still end up doing option 3 by default, at least you will know you did all you could. ((hugs)) I know you heartbroken, but I also know you will do the right thing for you....which is all that matters.

Jen said...

Did the doctor give you any insight on which way to go?

I can't imagine having to make this decision.

And will you thaw all of the mod squad for this?

I am such a horrible decision maker, I don't envy your situation. Good luck and fingers crossed for whatever way you choose!

Denise said...

I vote for option 1. But you already knew that.

Ever since our first FET attempt when my lining wasn't thickening up properly, it has been an issue every single cycle. The reasoning for option 3 doesn't make sense to me.

Sharon said...

Nancy I would go with Option 1 as well. Those odds are pretty good. You wouldn't get much better odds with a FET anyway I don't think.

Your lining might just be a slow-starter. You have had two successful pregnancies so your body has proved it knows what to do. Give yourself a chance.

Good luck with your decision.

Kaci said...

Damn. I'm sorry Nancy. I have no clue what I would do, I think I'd do option 1 or 2. I don't think I could face starting over without trying something. With option 1, he's giving you a 30% chance of pregnancy...what are the "normal" chances with FET? Maybe those odds aren't as bad as they sound. Good luck Nancy. You're on my mind.

Chas said...

Oh man...I don't know what I'd do. I doubt I'd choose option 3, but I'm not sure how I'd choose between 1 and 2. Good luck making the right decision!